Student Leader Requirements
Welcome to the portal for information on annual student organization registration and elections!
Applications and petitions forms are due by 1 pm, April 4, 2016. Voting for campus-wide elections will take place April 5 – 8, 2016. A more detailed timeline is included in the above election information PowerPoint. The campus-wide elections include the following fee-funded organizations:
- Pre-Alumni Association
- American Dental Student Association
- American Medical Association – Medical Student Section
- American Medical Student Association
- Division of Public Health Practice Student Association
- Ewell Neil Dental Research Society
- Graduate Students Association
- Student National Dental Association
- Student National Medical Association
Annual Elections and Registration
All other student organizations are asked to have open positions filled and complete elections and registration before May 31, 2016. The staff in the Office of Student Life will assist you with setting up applications and ballots in Campus Groups if needed. The registration form can be found on Campus Groups. You have to log in to access the registration form. Student Organization Registration Form
Constitution and Bylaws
All student organizations will need to have a Constitution and Bylaws on file with the Office of Student Life for the 2015 – 2016 academic year. The Office of Student Life will hold 1 Constitution and Bylaws Writing Workshops and provide a template for all organizations. Workshop date will be announced in early April.
New Student Leader/Officer Requirements
- All officers must complete the online student leaders training in August of each year.
- All officers will be required to attend an in-person Student Leadership Retreat in August of each year. Date TBD.
- All student organization officers AND members will be required to complete Student Organization Risk Management Training in August/early September.
- Have an advisor attend advisor training to be held in August.
- All student leaders (officers of a student organization or student interest group) will have to complete at least 10 hours of volunteer/community services hours a year (this can be something you do with your organization, but the hours must be reported along with the following:
- What did you learn from the activity?
- What did the event entail?
- Who did you impact?
Student Leadership Stipulations
A student cannot serve as an officer in more than two (2) student organizations per academic year. First year students are not permitted to serve as an officer of a student organization with the exception of their class executive board. Each class elects officers; the first year classes will be limited to hosting general body meetings and community service events the first semester (no social events or fundraising events). First year students can serve on committees within other student organizations and/or administrative groups.
Student Leaders Academic Requirements
In order to serve as an officer of a registered student organization, or travel as a student leader on behalf of a student organization of Meharry Medical College, a student must be officially enrolled, not be involved in academic or non-academic disciplinary sanction(s), and be considered in good academic standing (see below for additional GPA requirements).Individual schools may impose additional academic specific program restrictions or conditions on students who are on academic probation.
- Students in the School of Graduate Studies & Research must have and maintain a 3.5 GPA or above in addition to the requirements listed above to serve as a student leader.
- Students in the School of Medicine and School of Dentistry must have and maintain a 3.0 GPA or above in addition to the requirements listed above to serve as a student leader.
The Pulse is now taking applications for section editors and a photographer for the coming academic year.
The Meharrian is also taking applications for all positions for the 2014 – 2015 academic year.