M-SERF Emergency Funding
The Meharry Student Emergency Relief Fund (M-SERF) is a joint venture between the Division of Student Affairs and the Pre-Alumni Association. The M-SERF assists Meharry students by providing financial support when assistance is needed to cover unexpected emergency expenses surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of a family member, fire damage or travel funds for residency interviews. Students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources. This funding is not intended to replace or supplement existing financial aid and does not have to be repaid.
Expenses Covered by the Emergency Relief Fund (this list is not exhaustive):
- Medications and other costs related to medical care
- Books and other essential academic expenses
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Travel costs related to death, illness in the immediate family or residency interviews
Expenses Not Covered
- Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses
- Students must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected critical incident.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled students.
- All other resources, including emergency loans through Alumni Affairs and Student Financial Services must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
- Applicants must complete all questions in full and submit supporting documentation.
- Student can apply only once per academic year.
Students who are in need of emergency financial assistance may submit an application and supporting documentation to the Division of Student Affairs. The Meharry Student Emergency Relief Fund Committee, made up of staff members from the Division, the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry and Graduate Studies & Research, Alumni Affairs, and Institutional Advancement reviews the submitted applications and determines the appropriate funding amount. Funds distributed do not generally exceed $500. The committee will review applications requesting in excess of $600 for unique and unusual circumstances of emergency financial need. Applicants may be required to meet with a staff member in the Division of Student Affairs to discuss their application. For information on the application please contact our office at (615) 327-6792.
After clicking the link above, you will need to provide you Meharry username and password to access the form on the intranet.
The number of students who can be served by the Meharry Student Emergency Relief Fund is subject to the availability of funds. The fund must be sustained by continual contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends of the College.
Information will be available by August 2014 on how you can contribute to this fund.