SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY
We Teach Health Caring
When a dental student arrives at the Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry, they have accepted the challenge to:
- gather, question, collaborate
- partner and ponder with other scholars, across disciplines
- address the oral health needs of the surrounding community
- impact the world beyond Meharry’s borders
Students may arrive here ready to receive a quality dental education, but they will leave here ready to serve as dental professionals dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, and service with a promise to pursue global health equity for all.
We remain at the forefront in this quest for quality and meaningful healthcare delivery to all persons, regardless of race, creed, national origin, gender, and other circumstances of personal identity. By selecting a diverse body of students who individually demonstrate a commitment to service, possess cultural understanding, indicate the ability to successfully complete the rigorous curriculum, conduct research, and serve underserved populations in the Meharry tradition, the School of Dentistry plays a vital role in meeting the oral health care needs of everyone.
Our graduates have received international recognition for their achievements, performance, and service, blazing trails with innovative ideas and compassionate hearts. Many of our alumni focus specifically on providing care for the underserved. Others serve in the military, private practice, and as faculty members of dental schools throughout the country. All carry with them Meharry’s mission and legacy, acknowledging the blessings of the past and taking the progress of the present to make an expansive impact in the future.
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry International Track Program
The Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry International Track Program is an advanced standing program for dentists who have completed their dental training outside of a Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredited U.S. or Canada dental program. The program begins with a six-week individualized training and assessment module centered on comprehensive pre-clinical dentistry and its biomedical applications. After the international student has successfully navigated the six-week curriculum, the student must complete the two-year clinical program to graduate. During the final year of this International Track, the student must complete the Final Clinical Competency Examination (FCCE) course. The FCCE is the same course offered to the traditional Pre-doctoral Track and is used to assess the competence of all students; International as well as Traditional (or Standard) Track.
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language
- All applicants must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a total score of 95 or more to be considered for admission. (No waiver will be given)
- Must submit TOEFL scores via the American Dental Education Association: Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (ADEA CAAPID); only computer based TOEFL scores are accepted (NO paper based)
National Board Examination Requirements
- To be considered for admission, applicant must pass National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Parts I and II prior to the application deadline (A minimum score of 75 or Pass result) (Passage must be within the last 5 years) or pass the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE)
- Submit official scores via ADEA CAAPID
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) Requirements
- Completion of the ADAT is accepted, but NOT REQUIRED for admission to the program
Letters of Evaluation
- Program requires three (3) Letters of Evaluation (in English) via ADEA CAAPID
- Program requires one Letter of Evaluation from a former teacher who worked with the applicant in a clinical or educational setting who can attest to the applicant’s character, conduct and professional ability
- Program prefers one Letter of Evaluation to come from the dean of the dental school from which the applicant graduated
- All submitted evaluations MUST be submitted on appropriate letterhead and signed to be considered
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID an official, detailed, course-by-course evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES)
- After receipt of your verified ADEA CAAPID applications, instructions will be sent via email for a school specific Supplemental Application
- Pay a $175.00 non-refundable Supplemental Application fee to Meharry Medical College, through the link provided only.
- Provide a scanned version of your Dental Curriculum Vitae (a resume that includes your educational credentials and dental experience starting after your initial dental degree) to the program (Not to ADEA CAAPID)
- One 2” x 2” passport photograph to the program (Not to ADEA CAAPID). Print your name and ADEA CAAPID number of the back of the photo.
- A copy of the applicant’s dental certificate/diploma. (This school-issued document will confirm your conferred dental degree). If the dental certificate/diploma is not in English, provide the dental certificate/diploma along with the English translation administered by a bona fide English translator.
- A copy of the applicant’s US dental license (if applicable)
- Proof of residency (a copy of immigration documentation, US passport or permanent resident card or VISA)
- Once completed applications are reviewed, selected applicants will be invited for a personal interview and assessment exam
- A non-refundable fee of $250 will be assessed for the technical examination
Entering students will be required to complete a criminal background check
- Offers of admission are not considered final and enrollment is not permitted until completion of the criminal background check with results deemed favorable by Meharry Medical College, School of Dentistry
Advanced Standing Track (International Program)
Length of Program: 2 years full-time program approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation
Class Size: 10 applicants each entry cycle
Degree Awarded: A D.D.S. will be awarded upon successful completion of the program.
What is the deadline for applications?
Applicants should submit all documents no later than December 15th of the year preceding program entry.
Do I need to be a US citizen or a permanent resident (Green Card holder) in order to apply to the program?
No. A foreign citizen/national who wishes to come and study in the United States must first obtain a student visa, or F-1 visa. To do so, s/he must apply as an “F-1 student” and submit all required documents in order to receive a SEVIS Form I-20. The Form I-20 is a certificate of eligibility which serves as proof of acceptance to a U.S. government-certified school. If currently in the U.S. as an F-1 student, the F-1 student can transfer F-1 status to the program.
Does your school require a secondary application?
Yes, candidates should complete their Meharry Supplemental Application when they complete their ADEA CAAPID application and pay the $175.00 Supplemental Application Fee before their application will be considered complete. Payments will be made online via CollegeNET.
What is the minimum National Board Dental Exam (NBDE) score needed to apply?
Applicants must have a PASS score or a percentage score of 75% or higher for both Part I and Part II to be considered for the program or have passed the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE).
What is the expected cost of tuition?
The expected cost for tuition and fees for the 2020-2021 academic year are based on full time attendance. Complete financial aid information may be found via the school’s website www.mmc.edu. For additional information please see “Summary of Estimating Tuition, Expenses, and Proof of Funding.”
Will I be required to submit proof of financial ability?
Yes. International students requesting a Certificate of Eligibility Form I-20 must complete the “Guarantee of Financial Support (Private Sponsors)” form as required by law to verify that sufficient funding is available for the intended program. Students must provide proof of finance for the full 2-year duration of the program. Students are required to pay all tuition and fees prior to the beginning of each academic year.
Please note that all costs documented in the Cost of Attendance are estimated, increases are anticipated consistent with inflation in professional education.
Can I send additional letters of recommendation?
All letters of recommendation must be submitted via the CAAPID portal. MMC will not accept letters of recommendation sent directly to the admissions staff via mail or email. CAAPID will allow you to upload up to 3 letters of recommendation.
Where do I send additional supplemental documents to complete my application?
Supplemental documents should be directed to the Office of Admission & Recruitment via email firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score? How long are my TOEFL scores valid?
Applicants must obtain a minimum TOEL score of 95 or higher. TOEL scores must not be more than 2 years old at the time of application submission. The school accepts internet based TOEL (iBT) scores only.
Do I need to take the ADAT?
The ADAT is not required for admission; however, if you have taken the ADAT you may include this score in your application.
How do I obtain additional program information and what is the best method of contact?
All questions regarding the program should be directed to the Office of Admission & Recruitment. The Office may be contacted via telephone (615) 327-6748/(615) 327-6998 or via email email@example.com
Can I schedule a meeting with an admissions counsellor to learn more about the program?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all in-person campus visits have been paused.
Please contact our Office of Admission & Recruitment to schedule a virtual meeting with admission officers for additional questions.
What is the interview process?
Applicants are invited to interview by personal invitation only and will be notified via email. The email invitation will include scheduling instructions and details.