PA Program Requirements
Admission to the Physician Assistant Sciences Program requires the applicant to successfully complete the following prior to matriculation:
Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Any major is acceptable.
Required Undergraduate Prerequisites
50 hours of course work is required from the following list. These courses may be planned or in progress during the application process. All prerequisite course work must be successfully completed by July 15th of the year prior to intended entry.
Biological Sciences – (minimum of sixteen semester hours)
- Biology – 4 sem hrs
- Human Anatomy – 4 sem hrs
- Human Physiology – 4 sem hrs
- Microbiology- 4 sem hrs
- Immunology and Genetics are strongly recommended.
NOTE: Anatomy and Physiology may also be taken in an 8 sem hr combined course.
Chemistry – (minimum of sixteen semester hours)
- General or Inorganic Chemistry with lab – 8 sem hrs (one year sequence)
- Organic Chemistry with lab – 4 sem hrs (one year sequence recommended)
- Biochemistry (lab recommended) – 4 sem hrs
Psychology – (minimum of nine semester hours)
- General Psychology – 3 sem hrs
- Abnormal Psychology – 3 sem hrs
- Life Span/Developmental Psychology (or other psychology elective) – 3 sem hrs
Mathematics – (minimum of three semester hours)
- Statistics – 3 sem hrs
- Algebra is strongly recommended.
English – (minimum of six semester hours)
- English Composition – 3 sem hrs
- Additional Writing or English Composition – 3 sem hrs
Required course work graded Pass/Fail or credit obtained by College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Examination or Advanced Placement (AP) will not be accepted for any of the 50 hours.
1. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (A=4.0) is required.
2. Grades below “C” are not accepted for transfer to Meharry Medical College (e.g., C-, D+, D, D-, F).
3. Any repeated course grades (original and repeated) will be averaged in the GPA calculations and used accordingly in the evaluation of the application.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing) is required.
The Meharry Medical College Physician Assistant Sciences Program has applied for Accreditation – Provisional from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA). Meharry Medical College Physician Assistant Sciences Program anticipates matriculating its first class in January 2019, pending achieving Accreditation – Provisional status at the September 2018, ARC-PA meeting. Accreditation – Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding accreditation-provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students. The program will not commence in the event that this provisional accreditation is not received.