Frequently Asked Questions

Students should complete a “new” Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), beginning as early as October 1st every academic year while enrolled at Meharry Medical College.

The Meharry’s MAP application can be completed once NEW students are admitted into Meharry Medical College. As for continuing students, the MAP application must be completed annually while enrolled at Meharry. The Office of Student Financial Aid will email students the link to complete the MAP application when the application is available.

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is the Internal Revenue Service system that will allow students who have filed a federal tax return to securely transfer their income and tax data from the IRS to their FAFSA application.

You will receive confirmation from the U.S. Department of Education that your FAFSA application has been processed in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR). Once you have been officially enrolled at Meharry Medical College, the Office of Student Financial Aid will begin to process your FAFSA information. We will notify you by email if additional documents are needed.

Verification is the process of checking the information reported on your FAFSA application for accuracy. If your application is selected, our office is required to collect certain documents, such as IRS tax transcripts and/or worksheets from you and your spouse, if applicable. Information from these documents is will then be compared to information from the student’s FAFSA entries.

We only send offer letter email notifications to students who have been “officially” enrolled in their program. If you are enrolled and have not been contacted by the Office of Student Financial Aid, call or email our office to verify that we have received a completed Financial Aid file. You may also be required to submit further documentation before you can receive an offer letter.

If your Graduate PLUS loan is denied, you will receive a notification from Applicant Services. You may either obtain an endorser, or you may choose to document extenuating circumstances relating to the reason you were declined. If you choose to have an endorser co-sign the Graduate PLUS loan application, the endorser can complete the application through If you believe you have extenuating circumstances, you can contact Student Loan Support Center at 1-800-557-7394, and they will guide you through the process

Yes. If you are receiving federal financial aid, you must report the scholarship to the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid will adjust your financial aid package, if necessary. If you have borrowed the maximum in student loans, it is likely that your student loan eligibility will be reduced and replaced with scholarship funds. This reduces the amount of money you will have to repay when you leave school or graduate.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a type of financial aid, which provides part-time employment opportunities for graduate students, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The FWS program is based on financial need as determined from data reported on the FAFSA. If you are eligible for the FWS program, the maximum amount you may earn will appear on the offer letter sent to you by our office. Your FWS payment will be provided to you via a biweekly paycheck for the hours you actually worked. Earnings are not applied to your tuition and fee billing account. Students interview and are hired by prospective employers or on-campus departments. Income earned through the FWS program can be excluded from total earnings on the subsequent year’s FAFSA.

Student Financial Services will send 1098-T Form to students, annually, by January 31st. For additional information on your 1098-T, contact Student Financial Services at 615-327-6220 or visit their webpage for more information.

You will need to contact the Student Life office at 615-327-6792 or refer to the Student Insurance page.

You will need to contact the Office of Admissions at for more information.

You will need to contact the Registrar’s Office at 615-327-6466 or email their department at for more information.

You can contact Campus Housing at 615-327-5751 or email their department at for more information.