Physician Assistant Admissions Requirements
The accreditation application for Meharry Medical College’s anticipated Physician Assistant Sciences Program has been voluntarily withdrawn by the college. The application will be re-submitted in 2020.
Admission to the Physician Assistant Sciences Program requires the applicant to successfully complete the following requirements prior to matriculation (Please note that admission to the PA Studies Program is competitive. Meeting the selection factors noted below does not guarantee an interview or admission):
U.S. citizen or international student* in a legal status to study in the U.S. meeting the English-proficiency requirements. All applicants born outside the United States, regardless of citizenship status, are required to provide a TOEFL score of 100 or better on the Internet-based test or secure a TOEFL waiver by the application deadline to be considered for admission. Waivers are automatically granted for applicants who have a High School diploma, Bachelor’s degree, or graduate degree from a U.S. institution. The TOEFL examination (Click Here) must have been completed within two years from the date of application (TOEFL Code 1458).
Currently, there are no international countries that offer reciprocity for U.S. trained Physician Assistants and that is subject to change. It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor the situation. International students who are not U.S. permanent residents at the time of matriculation risk completing the MMC PA Program and unable to stay in the U.S. after graduation and unable to practice as a PA in their home country. It is the sole responsibility of the international applicant to weigh the risks when deciding to accept an offer to attend.
All applicants must meet and maintain all requirements in the Technical Standards (Click Here).
Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Any major is acceptable. Bachelor’s degree must be verified by the application deadline.
No advanced placement will be granted.
Required Undergraduate Prerequisites
The prerequisites are required and must be completed with a “C” or better.
1 – Medical Terminology
8 – General or Inorganic Chemistry w/ lab
8 – General Biology w/ lab
4 – Human Anatomy or Anatomy & Physiology I
4 – Human Physiology or Anatomy & Physiology II
3 – General Psychology
Pass/Fail grading and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) courses are accepted.
All science prerequisite coursework must be completed within 10 years from the date of the application submission.
Strongly recommended coursework:
Interview preference is given to applicants for each course completed with a “C” or better:
3-4 – Microbiology
3-4 – Immunology
3-4 – Genetics
3-4 – Biochemistry
3-4 – Organic Chemistry I
3-4 – Organic Chemistry II
3-4 – Statistics
3-4 – Upper Division Psychology
Candidates for admission are considered holistically and are reviewed on the following selection factors and awarded interview preference points: (Please note that admission to the PA Studies Program is competitive. Meeting the selection factors noted below does not guarantee an interview or admission).
- A minimum science and cumulative grade point averages (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale must be achieved. (A 2.75 GPA for last 60 hours of coursework will be considered for candidates with less than a 2.75 cumulative undergraduate GPA).
- Personal Statement and Response to writing prompt.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation ((1) from a healthcare provider, (1) from and educator and (1) from a person that can attest to personal character and work ethic. Letters from family members are not accepted).
- Grades below “C” are not accepted for transfer to Meharry Medical College (e.g., D+, D, D-, F).
- If a course were repeated, the higher of the two grades will be used accordingly in the evaluation of the application.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing) is required. GRE Code 1458.
- Scores of the Graduate Record Examination must have been acquired within the last 5 years. The GRE is not required for applicants with a conferred graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Supplemental Application.
- No advanced placement will be granted.
The Program awards interview preference related to the Program’s Mission to applicant’s with the following attributes:
- All officially designated Historically Black College and University (HBCU) graduates.
- Military veterans with an honorable discharge (must produce a DD214/DD256).
- Applicants who complete highly recommended prerequisite courses are given preference for each course completed.
- Prior healthcare experience and community service/volunteer experience (underserved populations).
- First Generation college student.
- Raised in a single parent household.
- Recipient of the Federal Pell Grant Program.
- Meharry Legacy (child, grandchild, sibling of a Meharry graduate)
- Resided in a federally designated Medically Underserved Areas/Populations (Click here) during high school.
The Meharry Medical College Physician Assistant Sciences Program has applied for Accreditation-Provisional from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA). Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding accreditation-provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students. The program will not commence in the event that this provisional accreditation is not received.