Social Security Number

If you are authorized to work in the United States by Meharry Medical College, you may apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).


As an F-1 international student, if you want to work on campus, you must contact the Principal Designated School Official (PDSO). It is recommended that you wait 48 hours after receiving your “Continued Attendance” I-20 before you apply for an SSN.

To apply you will need to gather the required documentation:

  1. Valid passport (If your passport is in a foreign language, it must have a certified translation);

  2. Form I-20 (For F-1 Students);

  3. Form DS-2019 (For J-1 Research Scholars);

  4. Employment/Student Verification Letter; and

  5. Social Security Application Form (S-55).


*NOTE: You must contact the PDSO to request your Student Employment Verification Letter.

Once you have gathered all the necessary documentation, you will then visit the Social Security Office to submit your application.


Social Security Office Information:

Tel: 1-877-808-5461

Contact General Counsel

Office of General Counsel
Hulda Lyttle Hall, 3rd Floor, Suite 314
1005 Dr. D. B. Todd, Jr., Blvd.
Nashville, Tennessee 37208
Telephone: 615.327.6102